Saturday, April 25, 2009

Pineapple Honey



First, let me say that this is delicious. Next, let me say that it's probably not what you'd expect from the title. The texture (and taste) is probably closest to sweetened crushed pineapple...but thicker. It's not gelled like a jam, but it's not as smooth as honey. So far, it's been fabulous with cream cheese on bagels, and I'm sure it would be wonderful on ice cream (if I had any). I bet it would also make a great quick cake filling, if drained slightly first. EDIT: It was also suggested to me that this might make a good quick "salsa" for seafood or chicken, and I think it would also be fantastic with ham. See? Once you get started, it's amazing how many different ways you can think of to use a certain item. I'm sure you all could think of others.

This was quick and easy to make; I simply took a fresh pineapple and ran it through the food processor until it was fairly smooth but not pureed. Next, I chucked it into my trusty Le Creuset dutch oven along with sugar, lemon juice, and a little water. See the recipe below for the actual amounts. Most of the labor here is in prepping the pineapple; after that, you just need to stir it when it's all simmering happily away.

Pineapple Honey
Yield: about 5 half pints, plus a little left for the fridge

1/2 cup water
1 lemon, juiced
2 cups sugar
1 pineapple, ground or crushed

Place all ingredients in a heavy saucepan and bring to a boil. Boil 25 minutes, stirring very often. Ladle mixture into hot 1/2 pint jars or jelly jars while hot, leaving 1/4" headspace. Process 10 minutes in hot water canner.

Next up: Wine Jelly (I know, wine + stuff to spread on bread. Best idea ever, and I applaud whoever came up with this idea to begin with).

No comments:

Post a Comment